English V, first semester, focuses on early American literature and persuasive writing. Emphasis in writing is on preparation for the state writing exam and expository writing about literature.
Works read in English V include:
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Selections from Black Elk Speaks
- Selections from
English VI, second semester, focuses on modern American literature and expository writing. The students complete the state writing exam in January.
Works read in English VI include:
- My Antonia by Willa Cather
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut